Warehouse Storage Solutions: A Closer Look at Mobile Racking
By Marc Menard
January 26th | 2 min read
Warehouse Storage Solutions & The Benefits of Mobile Racking
When it comes to warehouse storage solutions, you immediately think static racking, but not in Europe! With space being a much greater constraint overseas, they often utilize a mobile racking systems. In this blog post, Marc Menard explores the benefits, potential use cases, and key advantages of investing in mobile racking.
What is Mobile Racking?
Mobile racking is a storage system that allows racks to be moved on rails, creating aisles only when needed. Unlike traditional static racking systems, mobile racking offers a dynamic and space-saving solution for warehouses and storage facilities. The system consists of racking units mounted on movable bases, which can be controlled manually or electronically.
When to Use Mobile Racking?
Mobile racking systems are ideal for operations with low SKU assortment and a high volume of inventory per SKU. This recipe will allow you to eliminate fixed aisles, therefore increasing your storage capacity.
Is Mobile Racking Worth the Investment?
Investing in mobile racking offers numerous advantages that can improve your warehouse operations:
- High Storage Density: As previously mentioned, by eliminating the need for fixed aisles, a mobile racking system increases the storage density and is ideal for environments with limited space.
- Cost Savings: Mobile racking systems reduces the facility square foot requirement, therefore reduces the leasing and utilities costs.
- Increased Product Security: Mobile racking units can include controlled access with locking mechanisms and controlled access features, enhancing site security.
Disadvantages of Mobile Racking and What to Be Aware Of
Mobile racking systems offer efficient space utilization and versatile storage solutions. However, it’s essential to consider the disadvantages and potential challenges associated with their implementation. Here are some key points to be aware of:
- Design Complexity and Cost: Mobile racking systems require careful system design and attention to detail, which can increase manufacturing costs. The intricate electromechanical components involved in these systems add to the complexity and overall expenses.
- Inconvenience in Disassembly and Handling: Once installed, changing the system layout or relocating racks can be challenging and time-consuming. Proper planning and coordination are necessary to minimize disruption during these processes.
- Ground Load Requirements: Mobile racking systems have specific requirements for ground load capacity. It’s important to make sure that the warehouse floor is structurally capable of supporting the weight of the loaded racks, taking into account factors such as the type of flooring and loads.
- Maintenance Considerations: Mobile racking systems consist of mechanical and electrical components that need regular maintenance. Routine checks, lubrication, and inspection of safety features such as sensors and safety locks are essential to ensure optimal performance and prevent potential breakdowns.
When it comes to warehouse storage solutions, mobile racking systems offer a dynamic and efficient solution for maximizing storage capacity in space-constrained environments. With the ability to eliminate fixed aisles and increase storage density, these systems provide cost savings and enhanced product security. However, when considering the implementation of mobile racking systems, be sure to carefully evaluate the specific needs and challenges of the facility.
If you’re interested in setting up a mobile racking system for your warehouse, reach out to us! Our team can guide you through the process, from initial design to installation, ensuring that your storage needs are met efficiently and effectively.